The Red Oak is Prince Edward Island's Provincial Tree
Unique Tree Facts
Uniques Insect Facts
- The average tree, in one year, inhales 11.82Kg of carbon dioxide, the amount emitted by a car on a 17,600km journey. The same tree in turn, will exhale enough oxygen to keep a family of four breathing for a year.
(www.treedoc.com, retrieved 07/27/2006)
- A tree line buffer between fields and streams helps to remove farming pollutants before they reach water. (www.treeinabox.com, retrieved 07/20/2006).
- Shade trees can make buildings up to 20 degrees cooler in the summer. (City of Woodinville Tree Facts website, retrieved 07/20/2006).
- Shade trees help prevent skin cancer according to the Canadian Cancer Society.
- If conditions are right, a cabbage aphid can produce 50 babies in one week. This will mature one week later. In one season, a single aphid could produce one heptillion, 560 hexillion individuals. ( Minnesota Department of Agriculture website, retrieved 07/30/2006).
- Before adulthood, lady bugs eat 500 aphids, As adults, they can eat several hundred to several thousands. (Carolina Farm Stewardship Association website, retrived 07/30/2007).